It's done, I finished it! I didn't do the border shown in the originally pattern and just added couple of rows in garter stitch and mitered them. Which means I picked up and knit the stitches on one side of the blanket and increased one stitch at the beginning and the end of each right side row.
This time I did squares but if I ever do one again I think about knitting it in panels.
For weaving in the ends I used the dublicate stitch method. Instructions for this you will find here.
Anyways the original pattern you can find here.
Now I will send this afghan off to my friend as a wedding gift (Even though I'm tempted to keep it :)) ). I hope they ill like it!!! A special blanket for very special people..............................