Here some hints to get a great result:
- Cast on and bind off loosely so that the sides of the mitered square are not pulled and to make it easier to pick up stitches.
- I marked the "middle stitch" of the row in order to make it easier to see where to decrease. (Saves a lot of counting)
- I used a big button. So I had to make the buttonhole bigger through binding off 3 sts instead of 2. Check the size of your buttonhole and the button while you're doing it. You don't want to find out that your favorite button doesn't go through the hole after you finished the whole vest!
- If you find that stitches on the edge look loopy try to knit the first 3- 4 stitches tighter as you would normally do. It will even it out and as a result you will get nice clean edges.
- It's easy to vary the length of the vest through adding or subtracting a inch or more at the bottom borders if you prefer a different look.
- Have fun knitting!!!!!